Saturday, January 23, 2010

Avatar: The Pocahontas of the Future

I have decided to do something new: start doing new things.  Previously in my blog I wrote about whatever.  I wrote about abstract philosophical, psychological, and logistical concepts.  I have decided to occasionally deviate from the balanced incremental contingencies to a more chill approach.  I'm listening to John Mayer right now, and as guessed, very relaxed.  Speaking of John Mayer, look for a post on him coming up soon.

As you can probably guess from the title, I am planning a movie review for this post.  Look how well its going right now. Well before I start throwing my opinions at the world, I believe a short introduction is needed.

Now, a straw man once asked me, "What right do you have to review a movie? How are you at all qualified?"

Mr. Straw, let me counter your counter argument with this: "Who are movies made for?"  The answer is......

The Viewers

Last time I checked, they (movie makers) make movies to entertain the people who watch them.  Or if not to entertain, to captivate emotions or some other nonsense like that.  And last time I checked, straw man, I was a viewer.  Here's a mission statement:

If you've experienced it first hand, whether it be viewing a movie, listening to a CD, or experiencing an event, you have a right to review it.  You can say what you want.

Now, needless to say, this doesn't mean people will believe you.  This doesn't even mean they will listen to you.  But maybe they will.

Now, enough with the introduction.  When I am done with this, feel free to comment back with your own ideas.

Side note: Throughout my reviews, I may occasionally throw in some straw men, designated by quotes and a color change, to show an opposing view of what I say.





Jake Sully, the main character

It was an early dismissal day.  A day when students get out of school early.  A day of festivity, of glory.  A day of excitement, and of integrated transitional options.  My plans: to go out to lunch with someone.  As the day rolled on, I couldn't wait for school to be over so I could get some food.

"How does this relate to the movie?! GET ON WITH IT!"

Patience, patience, my young padawan.  If I were to jump into a movie review without setting the scene, bias would go undetected. If I simply jumped into a review, you as the audience would now know under which conditions I saw the movie. By giving an introduction I allow the reader to get a glimpse into my life, and see how my moods, feelings, and emotions may have influenced this review.

For example, if I was really mad on the day I watched the movie, my review might be a little harsh. If I don't tell you in the review, "I was pissed," then you will think the movie sucks. You might not go see the movie, although it might be better than I make it out to be. If I, on the other hand, tell you I was mad, and explain why, then you will think, "Oh, he was just mad that day. I bet the movie is better than he makes it out to be."

"Oh, I see. Fine. Just get on with it."

Anyway....as I was saying.  I digress.

Just kidding.  I was going to go out to eat with someone after school, but then I received a text. "I went home sick...I cant go out to eat today :( " I was sad, but 5 minutes later someone asked me to go see Avatar with them.  I had heard (from my journalism teacher, no less) that Avatar is a sweet movie.  It is supposed to contain amazing visuals and pretty scenes.  Needless to say, we went to Wendy's and got food.

I bet you thought that last sentence made no sense.  You're right.  Anyway, we got Wendy's (2 Jr. Bac Chz, plain and sm. fry).  Needless to say, we then went to Avatar.  Needless to say, we got a decent parking spot because it was early out.  Needless to say, it was a bit cold, but not really too bad that you had to bring a winter coat.  Needless to say, those previous "Needless to says" were actually pretty "needed."

"GET ON WITH IT"

Oh yes. Of course. The movie.  At the theater, I realized I was going to be paying over 10 dollars for a 3D movie.  That is simply ridiculous, but I had never seen a 3D movie before so I shelled out the cash.  I picked up my glasses at the gate, and go a perfect spot right in the middle of the theater.

The 3D was amazing! Visuals like none other. Immersive, lush, environments. Spectacular audio.  Stunning actions scenes, glorious battles.  Distraught defeats.  Romantic love.  Marks on my nose. Glasses fault.  Guns vs. Arrows. Beasts. Legends. Legit.

The story was strikingly similar to Pocahontas, so don't be surprised when you see imperialism symbolized once again.

I don't want to ruin anything but I have one last word.  The visual effects of Avatar 3D are worth the double digit dollars.



Picture above from HD Wallpapers at http://www.hdwallpapers.in/walls/jake_sully_in_avatar_movie-normal.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Avatar 3D is soooo goood! And the story line is so similar to a lot of movies. It's just a really generic idea. James Cameron just spent a lot more time making the movie look freakin sweet, and less on the story line

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah the story was still good, but thats not why you go see the movie.

    and for those of you who don't speak Chinese, HalFink said:

    "The human cannot look like an animal type to live, but should pursue the knowledge and the moral excellence"

    I believe he is trying to say that in Avatar, the humans try to be animals, but fail. But they should still try to be as pure and morally excellent as the "animals" (blue people). (eg, use all parts of the buffalo)

    And BTW do not go to the link he posted...its a bit inappropriate.

    http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_txt

    ReplyDelete

You got it?

I offered to give him speech lessons. He didn't respond.
_______________________________________
A hot dog is God's Toe.
_______________________________________
Best pickup line ever:

"I accidentally ordered an extra entree, can you come and eat if for me?"
_______________________________________
Statistically, I will live forever. I have been living for over 5,000 days. During each of those days, I have lived the whole time. Probability says I am immortal.

(Probability also said Michigan would beat Appalachian State)
_______________________________________
You know we're doomed if we idol a guy named "Young Jeezy." Funniest name ever.
_______________________________________

"You know what they say about assuming?"
"What?"
"Sometimes you're right... sometimes you're wrong"
_______________________________________
Dumb: "Quit being such a smart ass!"

Smart: "I'd rather be a smart ass than a dumb ass."

_______________________________________
-"Well, the short answer is no. But the long answer would be yes, it has one more letter."
_______________________________________
-After drinking all that diet soda, I felt Splendid
_______________________________________
-Drive up ATM's have braille for a good reason: Limit production cost (drive-up same as walk-up, so only one factory setting is needed) Plus, where else is the blind taxi driver going to get his money late at night?
_______________________________________
Only in America:

-Can you walk the streets without getting shot
-Will the police respond to your call without corrupt agendas
-Will you be allowed to elect your leaders
-You don't have to put barbed wire around your yard
_______________________________________
The background for my header (the picture with the Acai tree) is from http://www.thewallpapers.org/photo/22996/2-Single_Acacia_Tree_at_Sunrise_Masai_Mara_Kenya.jpg