Sunday, January 24, 2010

iPod iFind: Regina Spectator

Good Morning! But I digress.

I have a 30 GB iPod classic.  I bought the iPod in 6th or 7th grade, and have had it since then.  I have gone through various periods of use and discardation (Discardation is a new word. It means: something is in the state of being discarded).  Now, during one of my discardation periods, my sister decided to take up corn detasseling.  Now, my sister apparently had a nicer iPod than I did, so she asked if she could use mine while working.  Apparently her iPod is too good to be used in the fields, so she had to use mine.  Lame

So my sister took my iPod and because she wasn't a fan of my AC(lightning bolt)DC, she put her own music on it.  Now at first, I didn't really care because I never used my iPod.  So she took my iPod out into the fields and rocked out with the corn.

That was a few years ago.  Now, I am in a period of "use" with my iPod.  I have been to lazy to make my own music library (on my new computer), so I just kept all my sisters old music.  I really don't know many bands on my sisters iPod, so I didn't know where to go.  I had about five thousand sounds, so I had my work cut out for me.  I had to figure out what was good.  What to listen to?

Occasionally I would ask my sister, "Whats good?" and she would rattle off some artists, and I would check them out. As time went on, my musical horizons were broadened and I started to like lots of new music.

Considering I have started to do new things (see my last post about Avatar), I have decided to start a new column:

 iPod iFind



If I find a cool artisit on my iPod, or a really terrible artist on my iPod, then I'll write about it.  I'm hoping that with this, you will be able to do one of the following things:
  • Discover a new musical interest
  • Enjoy listening to a new artist
  • Hate the artist
  • Post hate comments about the artist
  • Cheese
  • Milk


So I was doing some homework yesterday morning, and I was looking through my iPod (containing my sister's music).  I was scrolling down to listen to some 3oh3, and I saw a strange name...

Regina Spektor



Her first album, Soviet Kitsch


I remembered my sister saying something about her, so I decided to take a listen.  The first song that graced my ears was "My Dear Acquaintance," which was sweet.  The song is very relaxing, slow, and yet vibrant and inspiring.  The song talks about New Year, with occasional guns firing and nuns singing.  These types of things are very characteristic of Regina Spektor.  By that I mean strange sounds that are cool.

Overall, most of the music is mainly piano and singing.  Sometimes, however, she gets into this super fast talk mode, where she sings faster than most rappers.  It is almost rap; rap with piano.

Wikipedia says this:
"Her songs show influences from folk, punk, rock, Jewish, Russian, hip hop, jazz, and classical music."
Wow.  That is quite a mix.  Folk, punk, and jazz?  Sounds intense.  Let me tell you, it is! I'm listening to her right now ("The Consequence of Sounds"), and can't help but do a little dance while listening.  Oh wait, she just broke into some weird beat-boxing thing...awesome.

Bottom line, Regina Spektor has some strange music that is pretty sweet.  If you like any of the types of music above, you should listen to some of her songs.

Regina Spektor, you have been iFound.





Ipod pic from http://blog.lehighvalleylive.com/campusconfessions/2008/08/ipod-classic.jpg

Regina Album cover from http://en.academic.ru/pictures/enwiki/82/Regina_Spektor-Soviet_Kitsch.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I realize that last sentence deserves no respect, I just thought it sounded like a game show.

    ReplyDelete

You got it?

I offered to give him speech lessons. He didn't respond.
_______________________________________
A hot dog is God's Toe.
_______________________________________
Best pickup line ever:

"I accidentally ordered an extra entree, can you come and eat if for me?"
_______________________________________
Statistically, I will live forever. I have been living for over 5,000 days. During each of those days, I have lived the whole time. Probability says I am immortal.

(Probability also said Michigan would beat Appalachian State)
_______________________________________
You know we're doomed if we idol a guy named "Young Jeezy." Funniest name ever.
_______________________________________

"You know what they say about assuming?"
"What?"
"Sometimes you're right... sometimes you're wrong"
_______________________________________
Dumb: "Quit being such a smart ass!"

Smart: "I'd rather be a smart ass than a dumb ass."

_______________________________________
-"Well, the short answer is no. But the long answer would be yes, it has one more letter."
_______________________________________
-After drinking all that diet soda, I felt Splendid
_______________________________________
-Drive up ATM's have braille for a good reason: Limit production cost (drive-up same as walk-up, so only one factory setting is needed) Plus, where else is the blind taxi driver going to get his money late at night?
_______________________________________
Only in America:

-Can you walk the streets without getting shot
-Will the police respond to your call without corrupt agendas
-Will you be allowed to elect your leaders
-You don't have to put barbed wire around your yard
_______________________________________
The background for my header (the picture with the Acai tree) is from http://www.thewallpapers.org/photo/22996/2-Single_Acacia_Tree_at_Sunrise_Masai_Mara_Kenya.jpg