Sunday, April 11, 2010

You Only Live Once


Two posts ago I talked about how I went to help make the Taft Butterfly Gardens.  That was yesterday.  Today I also wanted to knock off some of those hours so I asked around.  One of my friend's has connections at the HCC, so I decided to volunteer there.  I went with another friend to get some hours in.  We'll call him Breaston.

Breaston and I walked up to the building and pressed the red button.  The door opened.  We walked inside and saw a row of wheelchairs between us and the front desk.  We explained to one of the people working there that we were here to volunteer, and she had us go around and talk with the residents.

Eventually we were introduced to Bill and Dick, who were both around 80 years old.  We spent the next two hours talking with them and getting to know their life.  They had both served in some form of the military and had prominent careers in insurance or electricity.  Dick was a little more talkative, and here are a few key things he said:

-Don't smoke! It will make your later years no fun at all.
-Have fun.  He kept mentioning how much fun he had his life, and how he didn't regret a single thing.

We only live once.  The best we can do is live how we want to.



Life from http://irrelevantaxiom.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/the-meaning-of-life.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

You got it?

I offered to give him speech lessons. He didn't respond.
_______________________________________
A hot dog is God's Toe.
_______________________________________
Best pickup line ever:

"I accidentally ordered an extra entree, can you come and eat if for me?"
_______________________________________
Statistically, I will live forever. I have been living for over 5,000 days. During each of those days, I have lived the whole time. Probability says I am immortal.

(Probability also said Michigan would beat Appalachian State)
_______________________________________
You know we're doomed if we idol a guy named "Young Jeezy." Funniest name ever.
_______________________________________

"You know what they say about assuming?"
"What?"
"Sometimes you're right... sometimes you're wrong"
_______________________________________
Dumb: "Quit being such a smart ass!"

Smart: "I'd rather be a smart ass than a dumb ass."

_______________________________________
-"Well, the short answer is no. But the long answer would be yes, it has one more letter."
_______________________________________
-After drinking all that diet soda, I felt Splendid
_______________________________________
-Drive up ATM's have braille for a good reason: Limit production cost (drive-up same as walk-up, so only one factory setting is needed) Plus, where else is the blind taxi driver going to get his money late at night?
_______________________________________
Only in America:

-Can you walk the streets without getting shot
-Will the police respond to your call without corrupt agendas
-Will you be allowed to elect your leaders
-You don't have to put barbed wire around your yard
_______________________________________
The background for my header (the picture with the Acai tree) is from http://www.thewallpapers.org/photo/22996/2-Single_Acacia_Tree_at_Sunrise_Masai_Mara_Kenya.jpg