Wednesday, October 14, 2009

SAFE!

Fhew.....  I am so relaxed now.  You don't realize how much I missed this blogger editor page.  I just spent the last two days writing my ESSAY!

For the essay, I decided to write it in Microsoft Word, because it is easier to format/print out four copies.  I'm not going to lie, it scared me.  The blank format of a 1200 word essay, scared me out of my bowels.  I am so glad it's over.  Seriously...





There is just something about Microsoft Word that suppresses all literary talent.  I had a great idea for my essay, and was super excited to write about it, thinking it would be easy.  Just a long blog post, right?

WRONG.

Microsoft Word decided to make my life harder.  I started my essay, and everything went wrong.  My opening felt terribly forced, the body ached, and the conclusion was weak.  The content was lackluster, and the syntax just didn't feel right.  Eventually I just gave in and threw up on my paper, and printed off 4 copies (20 pieces of paper).  Thats what editing groups are for, right?

Back to Word.  As a student, we write all our papers, reports, and research projects on Word (or some other equivalent...I'm talking to you, poor Pages user...Oh, and don't even get me started on WordPerfect).  Our brain is accustomed to thinking and worrying when we see the Word screen.  In the blogger screen, we can relax.  This writing isn't published, printed, or revised.  Our blog posts are just online, for everyone in the world to see...

That reminds me, Try Googling your blog name/ URL.  It should pop up.  Doesn't it feel good to have something pop up on Google? Yes.  It sure does.

Back to Word.  I also found myself checking the word count almost every paragraph.  Maybe it's just because I am a journalist, and am always scraping to get down a big word count.  It was distracting nonetheless.  It caused my paper to seem incomplete and unbalanced.

Aww man, I think my writing depression is spreading onto my blog.  Damn Word!

So, I stated the problem, now I will state possible solutions.

1) Don't ever use Word.  EVER!!!!!!  Simply write in a familiar place, such as the blogger editor, email composition, or God forbid; notepad.  Then copy and paste into Word, format, and then print.  Problem solved.

2)Struggle through it.  It will probably be more convenient this way, but much more annoying.

3) Maybe the above isn't a problem.  Maybe the composition environment helps to set a desired tone.  In blogger, I tend to be more conversational and affective.  In Word, I tend to be more formal and distant.  I guess I do read some packets...

4)Right now, I am just rambling.  I really am mad about how my writing experience turned out this week.  I hope it gets better.  At least I have a group to help me through it.

Side note: In two days I have another 4 page paper due. I haven't started. I will probably use Word because it is supposed to be a semi-formal paper.



Why does it always seem that teachers scheme together? Tests always seem to fall on the same damn Thursday, and papers always seems to be due the same damn week.


This constitutes the Sunday Night Ramblings, so don't blame me.

Just livin my life. 


The above pic orginiated at http://mygadgets.my/img/Word_Logo.jpg  "Word Logo"  I made a few changes.  I take no ownership.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You got it?

I offered to give him speech lessons. He didn't respond.
_______________________________________
A hot dog is God's Toe.
_______________________________________
Best pickup line ever:

"I accidentally ordered an extra entree, can you come and eat if for me?"
_______________________________________
Statistically, I will live forever. I have been living for over 5,000 days. During each of those days, I have lived the whole time. Probability says I am immortal.

(Probability also said Michigan would beat Appalachian State)
_______________________________________
You know we're doomed if we idol a guy named "Young Jeezy." Funniest name ever.
_______________________________________

"You know what they say about assuming?"
"What?"
"Sometimes you're right... sometimes you're wrong"
_______________________________________
Dumb: "Quit being such a smart ass!"

Smart: "I'd rather be a smart ass than a dumb ass."

_______________________________________
-"Well, the short answer is no. But the long answer would be yes, it has one more letter."
_______________________________________
-After drinking all that diet soda, I felt Splendid
_______________________________________
-Drive up ATM's have braille for a good reason: Limit production cost (drive-up same as walk-up, so only one factory setting is needed) Plus, where else is the blind taxi driver going to get his money late at night?
_______________________________________
Only in America:

-Can you walk the streets without getting shot
-Will the police respond to your call without corrupt agendas
-Will you be allowed to elect your leaders
-You don't have to put barbed wire around your yard
_______________________________________
The background for my header (the picture with the Acai tree) is from http://www.thewallpapers.org/photo/22996/2-Single_Acacia_Tree_at_Sunrise_Masai_Mara_Kenya.jpg